Tuesday, October 31, 2017

How Not to Title your Dissertation

So I just had to look up my official dissertation title on my grad school's website and....well, here's a little piece of advice I would give to my past self. (The 'do' example comes from the excellent Johann Frick)
MoH&H title
DO

"'Making People Happy, Not Making Happy People': A Defense of the Asymmetry Intuition in Population Ethics"  <-- conveys the core of the view being advocated, what's controversial about it, and why it's appealing, in a punchy and fairly concise way

DON'T

"The Marriage of Rationalism and Empiricism: A New Approach to the Access Problem." <-- draws attention to question of whether dissertation does anything new in a defensive "protesting too much" way that invites a negative answer, compares self to William Blake and/or God.


3 comments:

  1. Your blog is very informative, finally, I found exactly what I want. Paypal is an excellent service for online payments but lots of its users confront issues while they access Paypal. If you want to resolve your problems then must visit Paypal ondersteuning nederland

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi, Thank you for sharing such a good and valuable information,It is very important for me. Gmail is the worldwide used email service but sometimes user faces some problems in it. If you want to get some information about the Gmail then you can visit <a href="https://tekninenasiakaspalvelu.com/gmail-tuki

    ReplyDelete

  3. Your blog is very informative and interesting to read, finally, I found exactly what I searching for. There are lots of users of Macfee antivirus in the world because of its features and easy interface. If you want to explore more interesting facts about Mcafee antivirus or want to resolve your technical issues then must visit Mcafee bellen Nederland.

    ReplyDelete